A flexible, cost-effective and
environmentally friendly production
concept that generates superior returns
Niri’s unique concept for land based aquaculture has been developed and tested over several years. Conventional approaches to RAS development are based on expensive and centralized water treatment systems that force investors to carry a substantial part of the investment costs for an industrial-scale facility up front even for a modest first stage of production.
Niri’s technology builds on Independent Production Units (IPUs), each of which is a large rearing tank with fully integrated recirculation and filtration technology, and each of which can be built very rapidly and has a comparatively moderate cost. The IPU-based technology that integrates grow-out tanks and cost-effective water treatment technology also reduces pumping distances, which helps save energy consumption and -costs.
The IPU-based Niri technology entails lower investments in shared infrastructure and centralized water treatment systems, so that build-up of production capacity is highly proportional to investments. In any industrial scale culture system, the human element, in the form of experienced on-site staff, should not be overlooked. Niri’s technology, which combines rapid mobilization of each IPU with the flexibility to scale up operations through a staged-expansion schedule, permits staff capacity-building and recruitment to keep up with the project.
Niri IPUs can be developed in different sizes depending on the application, and can be used for both salt water and fresh water fish production. Niri currently uses highly conservative esimates for biomass density for project scoping and -budgeting. Again thanks to the flexibility of plant design, investors in different locations and environments have the option to verify obtainable biomass during the first phase of development before deciding on the scope of expansion.
Niri’s technology offers the best risk management in RAS aquaculture investments – which in its own right is crucial at a time when land-based aquaculture is set to go mainstream and claim its space in the seafood industry in many countries.
The main benefits of the production concept
- Niri’s technology permits plants to be built near the seafood markets, reducing transportation costs and carbon footprint.
- Moderate CAPEX levels and attractive financing solutions from the Norwegian government for eligible clients.
- Low costs to attain an operating license in many markets.
- Reduced chance of exposure to sources of ocean based disease.
- Fully contained individual tanks with recirculating technology preventing spreading of disease between tanks.
- Reciculation flow with low energy consumption producing lean and healthy fish.
- Independent control and monitoring of water quality in each individual tank.
- Efficient utilization of feed, energy and industrial real estate.
- Unlike sea-based culture – capture of all sludge, avoidance of impacts on coastal fisheries.
- Environmentally friendly – no escape of fish to the sea, and all options at hand for wastewater treatment and utilization of sludge and nutrients for secondary value-generating processes (energy from waste, biogas, algae farming and hydroponics).
Integrated Niri production concept
Click for large image
Main fish species